Hello Friend!!! Welcome you to this Powerful Catholic Reflection for the day 3rd February 2023. I am very happy to see you coming to read this reflection. Today’s readings are called to reflect on the God’s Call and Mission.
Table of Contents
Readings of the Day
|First Reading||Hebrews 13:1-8|
|Gospel Reading||Mark 6:14-29|
Focus of the Today
God is love and we learn to love and live in love like Him. It is this love that makes us righteous, confident, and courageous to accept any adversity for the sake of the same love of God
Inspiring Catholic Reflection for the Day
1. We have different characters in today’s gospel episode, mainly in two categories – the negative and the positive. On the negative side, we have Herod, Herodias, Herodias’ daughter, and the courtiers and dignitaries at Herod’s party. On the positive side, we have Jesus and John the Baptist. Each of them indicates some significant lessons for us.
2. As in the words of the first reading, Herod and Herodias are immoral and adulterous. They dishonour marriage and defile marriage bed. He was not free from the love of money. He was not content with what he had. Herod succumbs to the pressure of pleasure, power, and money. He gets John the Baptist beheaded, even though he knew John to be righteous and holy, and knew himself to be wrong. He neither resists the wrong, nor abstains from it, nor questions Herodias.
3. Herodias knew herself to be immoral and in the wrong. But instead of changing herself, she resents John the Baptist who exposes her wrong. She uses her daughter as a pawn. Thus, cunningly she does away with him. Herodias’ daughter, without any moral scruple, allows herself to be manipulated by her mother, to behead John the Baptist. Herod’s courtiers and dignitaries at the party become partners in that murder, by their culpable indifference, even though they could advise him against it.
4. On the other hand, on the positive side, we have John the Baptist and Jesus. They are authentic in life and prophetic in action. They are fearless and truthful, even to the extent of death. True to the words in the first reading, they were convinced of God’s assurance, “I will never forsake you or abandon you”. They stood firm against all opposition and persecution, saying with confidence: The Lord is my helper, and I will not be afraid. What can anyone do to me?” Whose side are we?
Direction For Life
When pleasure, power, false dignity, and money overpower man, he loses self-control, forfeits discernment, fears the truth, resists change, and succumbs to evil. Are we also like that?
You may like
- Powerful Catholic Reflection for the day 2 February 2023
- Powerful Catholic Reflection for the day 30 January 2023
- Powerful Catholic Reflection for the Day 28 January 2023
Hope you had a good experience reading the catholic reflection for the day. With another inspiring message we shall meet in the next post. Stay Tuned in Biblemsg.com Thank You.