Dear Brother and Sister in Christ,
Welcome to Catholic Mass Readings and Catholic Reflections Daily in Biblemsg.com.
We are on the April 20, 2023 in the 2nd Week of Easter. Today’s Mass readings Acts 5:27-33; John 3:31-36. Theme of the day is Obey God rather than men!
Table of Contents
Readings of the Day
27 When they had brought them in and made them stand before the Sanhedrin, the high priest questioned them, 28 “We gave you strict orders [did we not?] to stop teaching in that name. Yet you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and want to bring this man’s blood upon us.” 29 But Peter and the apostles said in reply, “We must obey God rather than men. 30 The God of our ancestors raised Jesus, though you had him killed by hanging him on a tree. 31 God exalted him at his right hand as leader and savior to grant Israel repentance and forgiveness of sins. 32 We are witnesses of these things, as is the holy Spirit that God has given to those who obey him.” 33 When they heard this, they became infuriated and wanted to put them to death.
Psalm 34:2 and 9, 17-18, 19-20
Response: The Lord hears the cry of the poor. (7a)
31 The one who comes from above is above all. The one who is of the earth is earthly and speaks of earthly things. But the one who comes from heaven [is above all]. 32 He testifies to what he has seen and heard, but no one accepts his testimony. 33 Whoever does accept his testimony certifies that God is trustworthy. 34 For the one whom God sent speaks the words of God. He does not ration his gift of the Spirit. 35 The Father loves the Son and has given everything over to him. 36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever disobeys the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God remains upon him.
Powerful Catholic Reflections for Today
1. Embrace the sublime principle of obeying God rather than men. Let this norm guide your life and witness its transformative power. Through obedience to God, you receive the Holy Spirit who empowers and enlightens you.
2. With the Holy Spirit comes clarity and solidity, allowing you to distinguish between priorities and make wise choices. Let the light of the Spirit illuminate your path.
3. Unshakably believe in Jesus as one with the Father, loved by the Father, and sent by God to speak His words. This unshakable faith is grounded in the gospel.
4. Trust in Jesus’ testimony and receive His gift of the Holy Spirit. The Apostles were filled with the Spirit’s light and power, and you too can experience this transformational gift.
5. Allow the Holy Spirit to strengthen you, making you firm, courageous, persevering, loyal, and committed. Let the Spirit bear witness to the Lord in and through your life. Rise above earthly things and live in the realm above, for you belong to God.